Medical malpractice: Doctor may be liable for delayed treatment

Medical malpractice: Doctor may be liable for delayed treatment

On Behalf of | Sep 18, 2020 | Medical Malpractice |

Patients in Texas trust they will receive the best care that their medical providers can offer to them. In most situations, that is exactly the case, as medical professionals want to properly and safely treat all of their patients. However, there are times that a doctor, nurse or other health care professional fails to provide the proper standard of care, resulting in serious and permanent injury to a patient, perhaps even death. A medical malpractice case in another state is going to examine just that — whether medical personnel treating a man who had an allergic reaction should be held liable for a delay that seriously affected the rest of his life.

The plaintiff’s representatives say that this all stems from an appointment for an MRI a few years ago. The patient was reportedly given gadolinium which helps intensify contrasts on an MRI image. Unfortunately, the man apparently had an allergic reaction to the drug that made his heart stop. His representatives say that this caused brain damage resulting in significant change to his physical and mental abilities. It is also claimed that if medical personnel responded more quickly, this would not have occurred.

An expert for the hospital, which has been named in the suit along with a radiologist, says that this type of allergic reaction is very rare. However, there was apparently no alarm and no drug box that might have contained medication for treatment in the MRI room. At last report, the hospital and radiologist were awaiting the jury’s decision on whether they should be held liable for the man’s current condition.

No matter the outcome of this particular case, it cannot be understated just how devastating the impact of delayed treatment can be for a patient. If that delayed treatment was avoidable, it is important to hold those responsible accountable. A medical malpractice claim may be the best way to do that. Those here in Texas who want more information on the process may want to talk to an attorney who has experience in this type of case law.